Who can you trust?
Family members, teachers, coaches, nurses and school guidance counselors are all great options. Think about people that you feel most comfortable with and ask yourself the following questions about your relationship with them:
- Am I comfortable talking to this person about sensitive issues?
- Does this person have MY best interest at heart?
- Do I respect this person?
- Am I ready to share with this person?
HOW DO I TALK ABOUT SENSITIVE ISSUES WITH THIS PERSON?
Chances are, you are going to have something very sensitive that you need help with. Whether it is an issue you are having in school, a question you have about sex, or you find yourself in trouble, it can be scary sharing these things. You can prepare yourself for this conversation by doing the following:
- Set your boundaries- when you have decided you are going to trust someone with what you are dealing with, decide what you are going to share and what you want this person to do to help.
- Be prepared for a strong reaction, it is okay for this person to react. A big reaction does not mean that they can’t help you. Allow them to process the information and continue the dialogue.