Sometimes, it can be hard to tell if you are in an abusive relationship. It could be something that has been happening since you were just a little kid so it’s all you know. That does not mean that it is okay and you do not have to live with it forever.
HOW CAN I TELL IF IT’S ABUSE?
- Has this person hit, shaken, burned, choked, beat me or caused me physical harm?
- Has this person overpowered me into sexually explicit behaviors or acts?
- Am I constantly being criticized, threatened, yelled at making me feel as though I am worthless or damaged?
- Do I have enough food?
- Do I have appropriate clothing for every season?
- Do I receive medical care when I need it?
- Does my parent(s) or guardian leave me at home alone without supervision for long periods of time?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it is important that you find someone you trust and ask for help. The abuse is not your fault and there are people who can step in and keep you safe.